Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Skaneateles Winterfest

This Saturday be sure to visit the Skaneateles Winterfest. There are fun things happening all around the village. For a special treat stop by the Community center and do some mid-winter shopping at the Craft & Art Sale (Also a great place to warm up and get something to eat).

Jordan Soaps, Herbs & Spices from Jordan will be there. Check out the many new fragrances of soaps and our new herbs & spices.

This n' That from Elbridge will also be there. They offer all kinds of great products from jewelry to beautiful glass decorator blocks to decorations and so much more.

Ever wonder what the Village of Jordan was like before the Erie Canal came through?

1 comment:

Dave Vrooman said...

I do not think that there was much there before the "Clinton's Big Ditch". There were a few houses and a mill along Skaneateles Creek, but I think that was about it. Jordan grew and prospered along with the Erie Canal. Are there any pictures or old maps showing the area prior to the canal or during its construction? I would be interested in seeing them.
On a similar track. The house that I grew up in was at the corner of Clinton Terrace and Quince Street. I remember my father telling me that they found out it was built in 1859.
Does anyone have a picture of this house in its early days. I think that it was a house of some significance due to its size and the fact that it had stained glass windows in some of the second story windows. There was a parlor on the ground floor that had a large organ in it and a ornate spiral staircase to the second floor. There was also a large red barn next to the house with stalls for horses and doors that I think led into an area where carriages were stored. At one time I suspect that it had much more property associated with it. I have checked in the book A Stroll In Jordan, New York (An Erie Canal Village) for information but "our" house is not listed. I suspect a reason for this may be that my father changed its appearance drastically from its original construction.
I would really appreciate any information as to who the original owners were as well as its history. Pictures would be a bonus. Thank You,
Dave Vrooman